This post contains affiliate links, click for details.
Oh it is that time of year again! We get to begin the planning for our Kentucky Derby Party. Two years ago, I held my very first one and took you along with my event planning series. But darling, no party is ever the same, so of course, I am going to do it all again with fresh new ideas for hosting the event.
Also, this year the date coincides with Cinco De Mayo so you really should have no excuse to not throw a party!
The Official Artwork of the 144th Kentucky Derby, May 5, 2018
available $30 at Horse and Hound
Things to keep in mind when throwing a Kentucky Derby Party
- Check out the time of the race AND MAKE CERTAIN you have that correct time for your zone! My first party, I was totally off by one hour, we could have so missed the race but thankfully friends let me know after reading their invitation and I reached out and changed the time.
- Determine what you want to do during the party. It is good to have everyone arrive about an hour before the race so they can mingle, get their photos, get their drinks served and enjoy some h’orderves.
- Are you planning to serve a meal as well as h’orderves? If so, determine your time based on the timing of the race.
- Do you want your guests to dress for the event?
- What other activities do you want to have at the party? Wagers? Lawn Games? Contests? Trivia?
- Where will the group view the race? How many people can you easily host in that space? This may affect your guest list.
These are the preliminary items to consider so that you can design your Invitations! The details can fill in later.
Invitations need to be sent out 4 – 6 weeks ahead, especially if you want people to dress in traditional fare. Hats need to be ordered, bow ties purchased and outfits planned well ahead of the event.
Besides the customary invitation details like Date, Time, and Place, it is important to let your guests know if you are encouraging them to wear hats and bow ties. It would also be good to give a vague itinerary so they can dress accordingly if you plan to have lawn games, or if you plan on a full meal so they are certain not to eat before arriving.
The Kentucky Derby Planning Series will include:
Kentucky Derby Invitations & History
Kentucky Derby Party Supplies
Kentucky Derby Hats & Cocktails
Kentucky Derby Menus and Recipes
Kentucky Derby Games & Contests & Prizes
I will have sources so you can get your supplies early before they sell out. I will have some FREE printables for you to use for planning and games. I am here to answer any questions you have and give you taste tested reviews of the recipes and drinks.
Are you feeling a little weary of winter? This is the day to celebrate and welcome warmer weather. There is fashion, fun, decor and more to make this an event to remember….for the most famous 2 minutes of the year!
So what are you going to do?
I hope you join me this year and plan your own Kentucky Derby Party 144th.
Thanks for visiting today. I truly love to hear from my readers and answer all my comments. Check out the Home Page and visit my Youtube Channel, Tees, Retail Therapy and follow me on all of Social Media. I love to stay connected with you.
Leave a Reply